Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Crochet: The Magic Ring Tutorial

The Magic Ring has changed the way I crochet. I hated that little unsightly hole left in the center when crocheting in the round. I didn't want a hole in the top of my hats. No matter how tightly I started off my chain, I could never fully close that darn circle.

Sure, there are times when having an open hole may be desirable, for instance, when making granny squares, flowers, and other motifs. But I really wanted a way to control the opening. Then I found the adjustable ring. Possibly, my favorite crochet technique ever. Warning: Once you try it, you may never go back to the other methods.

Magic Ring Tutorial

I'll be demonstrating using double crochet and will assume you know how to chain, slip stitch, and double crochet.

Step 1: Begin by making a loop, putting the tail of your yarn behind your working yarn. Leave at least a three-inch tail. As you become familiar with this method, you'll be able to leave a shorter tail if desired.



Step 2: Hold your strands where they overlap and insert your hook from front to back through the ring. Pull up one loop on your hook.



Step 3: Ch 3 (*counts as dc; see Note)



Step 4: Find a comfortable way to hold your ring as you begin to work dcs. Dc into the ring. Make certain to crochet over the tail as you go. Continue working as many dcs as needed for your pattern.



Step 5: Pull the tail to draw the ring closed. If your tail has looped around a few times, untwist it before pulling tight.



Step 6: Slst into your first dc when finished to begin next round. How tightly you draw your ring closed is up to you and the desired effect you hope to achieve.



*Note: Often, I do not count the ch 3 as a stitch when double crocheting. It mostly depends on the type and thickness of yarn I'm using. Thick and chunky yarns, I count ch 3 as a stitch. Thin yarns, I do not count ch 3 as a stitch. Use your own judgement as to what looks the best for your project.

I hope you enjoy this technique as much as I do! Please feel free to contact me at nakesha@beansproutboutique.com with any questions or clarifications. Happy hooking. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment